Having a steaming bowl of noodles swimming in a beautiful, warming stock not only raises the spirit it warms the heart! There’s nothing much more comforting than having a big bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup when you’re feeling stuffed up with cold, or when you need a little comfort in your life.
The beauty of Chicken Noodle Soup is that you can either use left over chicken from a roast chicken dinner or you can make chicken thighs especially for the dish. Either way you get to have all the goodness of the chicken, the warmth of the chilli, ginger and garlic and juicy pieces of golden sweetcorn if you like.
I serve it with roasted curly kale (which tastes a bit like crispy seaweed if you squint a bit) and is packed with vitamins and minerals as well as tasting divine.[/et_pb_text][et_pb_image src=”https://mamacoopskitchen.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/chicken-noodle-soup.jpg” title_text=”chicken noodle soup” _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”][/et_pb_image][et_pb_text _builder_version=”4.7.7″ _module_preset=”default”]
- Cooked chicken (either leftovers from a roast dinner or from cooked chicken thighs or legs) chopped into thin strips or shredded. Just use whatever looks about right/however much chicken you have, within reason!
- 2-3 nests of Dried Egg noodles (noodles tend to come in clumps, these are what I mean by nests!)
- Chicken Stock to cover the chicken and noodles.
- About half a thumb length of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1/4-1/2 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (use less for a milder taste and more if you like it hot!)
- 1-3 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed or finely grated
- A carrot, peeled and sliced into thin rings (optional)
- Spring onions
- Frozen Sweetcorn (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Dark Soy sauce
In a large pan add the noodles, the chicken, chicken stock, ginger, chilli and garlic and carrot if using. If the chicken has produced its own ‘stock’ whilst it has been cooking you can add that too.
Bring up to the boil and simmer until the noodles are soft and the chicken is hot
Add the sweetcorn if using and simmer until the sweetcorn is cooked through
Sprinkle with chopped spring onions and a splash of soy sauce if liked
Serve with crispy curly kale.
To make crispy kale
Wash and pat dry curly kale
Place on baking tray
Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper (and a little garlic powder if you like)
Bake in a medium hot oven for about 7-10 mins (maybe longer) until it’s crispy but not burnt!