Chicken Pie Recipe using leftover cooked chicken
Chicken pie is a wonderful way of using up leftover chicken. Succulent chunks of chicken and whatever vegetables you fancy using are covered in a delicious gravy and encased in golden pastry.
You can use either shortcrust pastry or flaky pastry for this recipe. These days I use ready-made pastry to save time.
- Either leftover cooked chicken or about 500g of chicken, cooked
- An onion, peeled and finely chopped
- A carrot peeled and diced into small chunks
- A stick of celery (optional) washed and diced into small chunks
- A sprinkling of dried mixed herbs or herbs du Provence
- A chicken stock pot and some boiling water
- A little olive oil and/or butter
- Gravy Granules
- A roll of ready rolled pastry – either short crust or flaky pastry
If you’re using leftover chicken pick the chicken off the carcass and put in a bowl.
In a pan gently heat the oil and or butter if using and add the onion and carrots and celery if using. Gently sweat until the vegetables are glossy and soft.
Add the cooked chicken and stir continually until it is nice and hot
Add the herbs, the chicken stock pot and water and stir well
When boiling sprinkle in the gravy granules and stir well
Season to taste
Put the pastry into a pie dish
Cover with the chicken and vegetable mix
Cover with another layer of pastry
Put in oven at about 200oC and cook until the pastry is golden and brown.
Serve with roast potatoes and vegetables or cauliflower cheese