Egg-Fried Rice Recipe
Egg-fried rice is one of my favourite accompaniments for Chinese dishes. It is quick and simple to make. I usually use freshly cooked rice, though it is possible to use cold rice as long as it’s been cooled quickly and stored properly and is reheated to a high temperature.??
Using fresh ginger and a little fresh chilli gives this dish a tasty kick.The vegetables add an extra lightness to the dish. If you have all the ingredients then great, if not, try experimenting with the things you do have. When I make it I add whatever I have to hand.?
- Rice (there?s usually portion measurements on the side of the bag!) I use Basmati as I think it holds its texture well
- Seasame Oil (If you don?t have sesame, sunflower or vegetable oil will do instead)
- Fresh ginger (about 2 cm in length) peeled and grated
- A clove or two of fresh garlic peeled and crushed (if you don?t have a crusher, grate it on the finest setting)
- Fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Broccoli and / or Cauliflower chopped into small florets (trees) You can use the stalk finely chopped too.
- 3 eggs, beaten with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A fresh pepper deseeded and sliced into thin strips
- A carrot peeled and chopped into thin sticks
- A few frozen peas if you have them
- Soy sauce (I prefer dark soy sauce but any soy sauce is fine)
Cook the rice following the instructions on the packet until all the water is absorbed and the rice is fluffy
In a wok or large deep sided pan add two tablespoonsful of seasame oil (it doesn?t need to be an exact amount)
Heat the oil on a medium high heat for a few minutes then add the broccoli, cauliflower, pepper and carrot and stir fry for 4 or 5 mins until they?re still crunchy but got some softness to them.
Make a space to one side of the wok and add the beaten egg mix.
Lightly scramble with a fork then?add the cooked rice, the chilli, garlic and ginger and stir well.?
Keep stirring and add the frozen peas. Keep stirring until the peas look like they?re cooked
Add lots of soy sauce to taste and serve.