How to cook Roast Silverside of Beef
Silverside lends itself to being cooked in the oven. This recipe has only a few ingredients as the flavour of the Beef should speak for itself.? If you have a traditional roasting tin with a lid, then great use that but if not, just use a deep-sided ovenproof dish preferably made from metal.
You will need
- A joint of Silverside Beef
- A splash of water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh Thyme and Fresh Rosemary (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 220oC or Gas Mark 7
- If the packaging states the weight of the meat on it, make note of the weight so you can use this to calculate approximate cooking time. Otherwise you may need to weigh the meat on scales.
- Remove the packaging from the meat and place in the deep dish with a splash of water
- Sprinkle Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper on top of the meat
- Pop in oven for 20 mins
- After 20 mins turn the heat down to 180oC or Gas Mark 5
- Cover with foil and cook for a further 25-30 mins per 500g/llb
Towards the end of the cooking time check if it’s cooked to your taste, if it looks like it needs longer, cook it for longer and if it looks like it’s done it’s probably done. Just cut through it to double check. Silverside can be served slightly pink depending on your personal taste.
Once it’s cooked to your liking, lift out of the dish, wrap in fresh foil and leave to rest for 15-20 mins. This will help the meat relax a little and make it tender.
This can give you time to make Yorkshire Puddings etc. if needed.
Make Gravy from the meat juices from the roasting tin
Save any meat juices that’s in the bottom of the roasting dish and use that to make gravy out of. I normally pour it into a pan and bring back to the boil, adding a little extra water if necessary. I slowly add gravy granules and stir until it’s the right consistency.
There are other ways of making gravy but life is short and gravy granules are a quick way to make gravy. If you like add a sprinkling of celery salt (but NOT if you’re allergic to celery) and stir in.[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]