This delicious roasted garlic and tomato soup combines the mellowness of the roasted garlic with the freshness of the vine-ripened tomatoes to create a wonderfully warming and uplifting soup.
- 5 or 6 Vine-Ripened tomatoes, chopped into quarters
- An onion, peeled and finely diced
- 4 or 5 cloves of skin-on garlic
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Fresh Basil leaves if you have them
- Freshly Ground Salt and Black Pepper
- A stockpot or stock cube or two *
- A sprinkling of Italian Seasoning
- A sprinkling of crushed dried chilli if liked (optional)
- If you’re making this for vegetarians or vegans, use vegetable stock.
- If you’re not making it for vegetarians, try using chicken stock for a slightly warmer, more rounded flavour.
- If you’re cooking for coeliacs or anyone with an intolerance to gluten, look out for gluten-free stockpot or stock cubes.
Pre-heat the oven to 200oC or Gas Mark 6
In a deep cooking tray, scatter the finely chopped onion, tomatoes, skin-on garlic and sprinkle liberally with olive oil. Give the ingredients a good stir and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Add a little Italian seasoning and the crushed dried chilli if using. Scatter with the basil leaves if using
Roast in the oven until the vegetables are soft and cooked through.
With a spoon, gently remove the cloves of garlic and put on a plate.
Using the back of the spoon gently squish the garlic until the gorgeous gooey garlicky goodness comes out. Discard the skins and add the gooey garlic to the pan or soup maker (whichever you’re using)
Transfer the vegetables to a pan or a soup maker and top up with water so it just covers the top of the vegetables. Add the stockpot or cube and stir well.
Finish off in either a soup maker or a pan
If using a soup maker set to the smooth setting
If using a pan, simmer for 15-20 mins until the soup looks cooked.
Remove from the heat and blitz with a stick blender.
Once the soup is smooth, check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Serve with cheese topped tortilla chips or crusty rolls. Or cheese on toast.