Sticky Sweet and Sour Belly Pork Recipe
Sticky Sweet and Sour Belly Pork is really cheap and easy to make. The sauce is made from things that you might find in your store cupboard. Serve with Egg-Fried Rice and Stir-Fry Vegetables.
- Strips of Belly Pork – It needs to have some fat on it but not loads (just watch out as some of them are mainly fat and that’s not what we need)
- Tomato Ketchup
- Dark Soy Sauce (any soy sauce will do)
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Runny Honey
- Fresh Ginger (about 2 cm, peeled and finely grated)
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed or finely grated
- Fresh red chilli to taste, de-seeded and finely chopped
Place the pork belly strips onto a deep sided metal dish (if you have one, if not use a deep sided ovenproof dish) It’s important that it’s got deepish sides as the fat will start to render and you don’t want it going everywhere! If possible score the top layer of fat with a sharp knife in a criss-cross pattern
Cook on Gas Mark 4 or 180oC until it’s gone golden brown
Mix the other ingredients into a dish (I never really measure it, I use about 3 tbspoons of ketchup, a couple of squirts of runny honey, a tablespoonful of red wine vinegar, 3 shakes of dark soy sauce) Just taste it and see what it needs, if it needs something else, add it. Don’t be afraid to experiment. Once you’re happy with the sauce pour it over the pork and put back in the oven.
Leave it in the oven until it goes slightly crispy and sticky. If it gets slightly burnt at the edges that’s great, it actually adds something to the flavour (I’m not talking let’s set it on fire, but it does seem to work best when it’s slightly singed!)
Serve with Egg-Fried Rice and Stir-Fry vegetables.